Since its opening in the late 1930s, the Tyneside Coffee Rooms has been a local institution. The result of accident rather than design, the Cinema’s founder Dixon Scott initially intended to let out the three room suite of offices but no tenant could be found at the relatively high rent of £150 a year. The Scott family decided to make the space pay for itself a year later, and in 1938 the Tyneside Coffee Rooms were opened.
During the Second World War, the Coffee Rooms, like everyone else, had to deal with rationing and it became difficult to obtain many items, including butter. However, the inventive staff devised their own mixture of butter and margarine, which they described as a ‘pleasant and nutritious alternative’!
After being a family business for over 30 years, Tyneside Coffee Rooms will be managed by the Cinema’s own team from April 2018. The team will continue to serve up its hearty comfort food in the cosy atmosphere that makes it a firm local favourite and a stop off for visitors from around the world.