This year's commissioned artists are Evan Ifekoya, James Richards, Sophio Medoidze, and Susie Green & Simon Bayliss. Each selected because of the sensibility they would bring to making new work for the specific context of the cinema, they are at different points in their careers, and together constitute a diverse cross-section of current practice in the moving image.
- James Richards was nominated for the Turner Prize in 2014. He has been the subject of numerous solo shows worldwide and represented Wales at the 2017 Venice Biennale.
- Evan Ifekoya recently had their first solo show at Gasworks (London), with a second to follow at De Appel, Amsterdam, in 2019.
- Sophio Medoidze featured recently in the Serpentine Cinema programme and is currently part of Feature Expanded (HOME, Manchester / Lo Schermo dell’Arte, Florence).
- Susie Green is a North East-based artist with recent solo- and two-person shows at Jerwood and Five Years (London; with Kim Coleman), and Workplace (Gateshead).
- Simon Bayliss is based in Cornwall, and has recently shown work at Plymouth College of Art Gallery; Exeter Phoenix; Tate St Ives café; and Eastside Projects, Birmingham. Both Susie and Simon were part of Syllabus, a practice development programme led by Wysing Arts Centre.
The new films will launch at a special event in Newcastle on 22 February 2019, after which they will be screened in front of selected features at Tyneside Cinema and partner cinemas across the UK.
"What can a cinema make possible, and what might the cinema of the future look like? These are questions that artists can help us answer, and that’s what Projections is all about."